Contract type : Fixed-term contract
Renewable contract : Oui
Level of qualifications required : PhD or equivalent
Fonction : Post-Doctoral Research Visit
Level of experience : Recently graduated
Within the framework of a partnership (you can choose between)
- public with Archimède (Université de Strasbourg, Université de Haute-Alsace), funded by Action Exploratoire Inria Apollon.
an application more specifically dedicated to automatized the creation of a lexicon of ideas.
Is regular travel foreseen for this post ?
The collaboration involves frequent travel between Nancy and Strasbourg. Travel expenses are covered within the limits of the scale in force
With the help of the PASTA team (Inria) and the Archimède team (Université Strasbourg & Université de Haute-Aslace), the recruited person will be taken to test several techniques of factor analysis and text classification in collaboration with historian to create a lexicon of ideas, with a view toward automatization through reinforcement learning techniques.
For a better knowledge of the proposed research subject :
A state of the art, bibliography and scientific references are available at the following URL, do not hesitate to log in: https://www.inria.fr/fr/apollon
The recruited person will be in connection with
- Antoine Lejay, Lionel Lenotre, Sara Mazzonetto who are specialists in probability and statistics.
- Maria-Teersa Schettino, Airton Pollini and Céline Urlacher-Becht who are specialists of Greek and Roman history for validating the quality of the lexicon of ideas.
The person recruited is responsible for developping an innovative high-quality research and will be given a lot of freedom.
The person recruited will be in charge of supervising a Master internship in Spring/Summer 2023.
Main activities (5 maximum) :
- studying factor and text classification techniques on Aristotle's Politics and create an automatized lexicon of ideas
- exploring new direction in presence of small data and human expertise
- encompassing these techniques into a Q-learning framework
- focusing on explicability and interpretability of the proposed solution, as well as an appropriate statistical validation
- developping corresponding codes (R, Python)
Additional activities (3 maximum) :
- write reports, article, give talks to seminar and conference
- participate to the life of the Pasta team and tne Institut Elie Cartan de Lorraine
Technical skills and level required :
- PhD thesis in theoretical statistics
- high-dimensional statistics
- programming in R or python
- reinforced learning, Markovian decision process
- machine learning
- English or French
- ancient Greek is not required, yet could be a plus
Relational skills :
- good communication in a cross-disciplinary context (mathematics, machine learning and social sciences)
Other valued appreciated :
- Subsidized meals
- Partial reimbursement of public transport costs
- Leave: 7 weeks of annual leave + 10 extra days off due to RTT (statutory reduction in working hours) + possibility of exceptional leave (sick children, moving home, etc.)
- Possibility of teleworking (after 6 months of employment) and flexible organization of working hours
- Professional equipment available (videoconferencing, loan of computer equipment, etc.)
- Social, cultural and sports events and activities
- Access to vocational training
- Social security coverage
Salary: 2746€ gross/month
- Theme/Domain :
Statistics (Big data) (BAP E)
- Town/city : Villers lès Nancy
- Inria Center : CRI Nancy - Grand Est
- Starting date : 2022-10-01
- Duration of contract : 12 months
- Deadline to apply : 2023-01-31
The keys to success
- excellent mathematical skills
- capacity of proposing innovative solutions
- ability for interdisciplinary communication (statistics, history, philology)
Inria is the French national research institute dedicated to digital science and technology. It employs 2,600 people. Its 200 agile project teams, generally run jointly with academic partners, include more than 3,500 scientists and engineers working to meet the challenges of digital technology, often at the interface with other disciplines. The Institute also employs numerous talents in over forty different professions. 900 research support staff contribute to the preparation and development of scientific and entrepreneurial projects that have a worldwide impact.
Instruction to apply
Defence Security :
This position is likely to be situated in a restricted area (ZRR), as defined in Decree No. 2011-1425 relating to the protection of national scientific and technical potential (PPST).Authorisation to enter an area is granted by the director of the unit, following a favourable Ministerial decision, as defined in the decree of 3 July 2012 relating to the PPST. An unfavourable Ministerial decision in respect of a position situated in a ZRR would result in the cancellation of the appointment.
Recruitment Policy :
As part of its diversity policy, all Inria positions are accessible to people with disabilities.
Warning : you must enter your e-mail address in order to save your application to Inria. Applications must be submitted online on the Inria website. Processing of applications sent from other channels is not guaranteed.